Sunday, September 17, 2006

New Goals, Same Shoes

Miles: 2
Temp: Kind of hot and sunny
Course: (Easy/Hard) Down Los Feliz Blvd. hill to the overpass and back up.
Average pace per mile: 11:45 (yikes, that's slow)

It's been a long time since I've actively tracked my runs, my last post was in May and before that I was kind of half assing it in this big black book of runs I was keeping. I've been reading JB's training blog,Gorilla Hunting, since its inception and I'm getting a little inspired to start training again. My big problem has been that I'm not sure if I want to do the LA Marathon again next year or wait a little longer and do the San Diego Marathon in June of next year. I don't have the confidence to do both, and I'm thinking I'd like to do a different course for my next marathon, but that puts my goal a long, long way away. I guess the obvious thing would be to find and train for a 10k or Half Marathon in the meantime, but I'm such a slow runner (as evidenced above) that I don't really want to be the slowest girl in the race.

I've gained a little weight since the marathon and I'd like to tone up again and lose those extra pounds. I'd also like to get my pace down to around 10:30 per mile or less. I don't think that will be too hard, but then again, I've never trained for speed before.

So for now, my goal is simply to run four times a week, for at least 2 miles until November when I have to decide whether or not I'm training for the LA Marathon. Additionally after four weeks, I'd like to add a cross training day to either do some weights, yoga, go for a bike ride or jump rope.

2 comments:

wamez said...

If you're unsure about racing shorter distances, you might look into Run/Walks. The 5K I did a couple of months ago was a Run/Walk and there were a lot of folks just enjoying the scenery. Makes it a little difficult if you need to get around them, but you know there's definitely going to be someone behind you in the end. I even saw some strollers.

Also, races make good goals. And goals are helpful I've learned.

Tamara said...

That actually sounds like a good idea, Wamez. I'll look into that.