Friday, February 17, 2006

Week 12: Run 2

Scheduled: 8
Actual: 8.5 ish
RPE: 4

I was going to write a really long post about last nights run because I had kind of a scary thing happen to me. But after telling the story to Louie and him thinking it really wasn't a big deal, I'm feeling a little... like I overreacted. But then I have to always remember, men-they don't get it. They will try to understand what it feels like to be a woman running alone at 8:30 at night on a dark street and have a strange man run up behind you and 'try to start a conversation,' the same strange man you saw two miles earlier that made you think "that guy, I could totally take him" (which is some strange 6th sense thing working,) and they just won't get it. Not because men are insensitive, or can't understand what rape is (men go to prison, I think they know how rape feels) but because they aren't socialized the same way we are. They aren't warned to never walk alone at night because someone will rape you. They aren't cautioned against drinking too much at parties because someone will rape you. They aren't told to never walk to their car alone because someone might kidnap and rape you. It's just not in their 'fear psyche.'

So anyway, I got scared last night. So scared that I ran a half mile out of the way and after my run felt what I think might be a little what PTSD feels like. I didn't want to go out at night ever again. That's how scared I was.

But now that I got it off my chest, I'm not going to let a little dude who probably meant no harm keep me from enjoying my run. Especially because the first 6 miles of my run last night were so completely awesome, I will be able to use them for my 'visualization' during the marathon. I hit some major flow.

It's supposed to rain this weekend... And I have a 5-miler tonight and an 18-miler on Sunday. Think good thoughts.

No comments: