Saturday, October 28, 2006

Week -1 of 18: 6 miles

dear lord this was hard.

Distance: 6 miles
Course: treadmill
pace: (don't laugh) 13.1 per mile

I'm housesitting this weekend and they have a treadmill. Which I was really excited about. I remember it being such a good workout when I used to have a gym membership. I remember how fast the miles would go by. I must have been on drugs back then, because while it was a good workout, it was pretty tough to say the miles flew by. At mile 3.5 I was about to throw in the towel. Not only did I think I was hitting a wall, but also, I think I might have been a bit bored. So I told myself if I could get to 60 minutes I could quit, knowing that if I got that far into a run I totally would have to prove it to myself that I could finish it. Which is exactly what happened. I don't really understand how I can trick myself. I guess I'm easily swayed.

I had to walk a bit, but it was only for about a minute before I convinced myself to run again. It was a rough workout. But worth it. For tonight, I get pizza!

2 comments:

wamez said...

That's a big jump to go from 3 miles to 6 miles. I like to eek my way toward longer runs -- let them sneak up on you before you realize what's happening.

Tamara said...

Yeah, I know. It was rough for me, but this Hal Higdon program had three 3 milers followed by a 6 miler. I'm not sure yet that I'm crazy about this program, but I'm going to try it at least for the first few weeks.